Community Organizer (GA, FL)
The Organization: Poder Latinx is a civic and social justice organization. Our vision is to dismantle the political barriers and strengthen the power for the Latinx community to become decision-makers in our country’s democracy, and win on economic, immigrant, and climate issues. Our mission is to work to build a sustained progressive voting bloc of Latinxs in battleground states across the country. We do this by leading a voter-integrated engagement program where all aspects of voter engagement, issue-based campaigns, leadership development, voting reform, voter protection, and narrative change form a continuous cycle of political consciousness. Through our work, we empower and equip Latinxs to become agents of change now. Founded in 2019, Poder Latinx operates in Central Florida, including Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Lake, Polk, counties, Arizona East Valley of Maricopa county, and in Georgia including Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton and Clayton counties.
The position: The Community Organizer will be responsible for leading our Economic Justice, Immigrant Justice, or Environmental Justice campaigns (and be knowledgeable on all of the campaigns) that build long-term power and achieve victories in the issues impacting our community.
- Build a powerful base of grassroots leaders throughout their respective state.
- Provide strategic leadership in the development of an organizational base: building plans, recruiting members and volunteers, and mentoring leaders in support of the campaign.
- Recruit, train, and support members in taking on leadership roles in the organization.
- Plan, develop, and carry out our organizing issue strategy on an assigned campaign (Economic Justice, Immigrant Justice or Environmental Justice)
- Coordinate volunteer grassroots advocacy including phone banks, door knocks, house meetings, and other activities
- Develop and carry out monthly grassroots actions to include but not limited to: community meetings, press events, letters-to-the editor, and community events.
- Works closely with organizing team on relative campaign efforts
- Remain knowledgeable or support work on the other two campaigns, as needed
- Create and maintain innovative partnerships with individuals, organizations, elected officials, media, and others.
- Research on issues assigned
- Prepare and submit reports of job activities on as directed by the State Program Director
- Provide input and content for PL social media platforms
- Participate in and conduct training as a part of professional development.
- Represent PL in a professional manner to the community.
- Organizer mindset: Committed to grassroots organizing and basebuilding of the Latinx community. Willing and able to build relationships quickly, have strong follow ups, and move people to action. Proven record of success in setting and achieving goals Ideal candidates will have at least one year of experience in community organizing,political campaigns, field or volunteer organizing.
- Relationship-orientated: Proven ability to work collaboratively and foster collaboration and trust in others in the high-pressure campaign environment
- Cultural competency: And ability to communicate effectively with people representing diverse interests, styles, and backgrounds
- Independent worker: Be able to manage multiple projects at one time. Meet deadlines and hit metric goals. Ensure that numbers are reported on time with data integrity at the top of mind. Attention to details and be able to provide thoughtful solutions to problems that arise. Be able to work in a fast paced environment where work areas are expected to change frequently.
- Technologically savvy: And able to learn how to use new databases, online platforms, etc relatively quickly.
- Mission alignment: Committed to our mission of building a sustained progressive voting bloc of Latinxs in battleground states across the country and winning on economic, immigrant, and environmental issues that impact Latinx communities.
$40,000 to $45,000
- Ability to work on long hour, nights, weekends, and tentatively travel
- Working cell phone
- Active Driver’s license, with reliable transportation with valid auto insurance coverage
- Proficiency in Spanish is required
COVID Disclosure: Poder Latinx has transitioned to lead operations on the ground, staff should be comfortable with attending in-person activities and must meet the following requirements:
- Must be fully vaccinated, have proof of vaccination card and be willing to update vaccine status as required.
Please email a copy of your resume, cover letter, and two references to:
email@example.com. The email-subject line should read “Community Organizer – Job Application” or may be missed. No phone calls please.
Please note: resumes not matching the listed qualifications will not be eligible for the position
No Job Description. Find more information in profile details or social accountsView more listings