Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Communications and Development Lead & Executive Director
Hours per week: 20 hours per week
Values: We believe without hesitation that all deportations are inhumane; migration is a human
right; Black Lives Matter; Indigenous land sovereignty must be respected; gender and sexual
identity exist outside of a binary; accountability is an act of love, not conflict; one’s own
liberation is bound to another’s freedom, regardless of immigration status, ability, gender
identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or criminal convictions record.
ScholarshipsA-Z (SA-Z) equips immigrant youth in Southern Arizona with the tools and networks
to pursue a higher education, navigate the workforce and become agents of change. Since 2009,
SA-Z has helped over 3,000 unduplicated students attend college and/or apply for a scholarship.
For most of its history SA-Z has been fully-volunteer led. In June of 2020, we hired our first-full
time staff member and we’re in an exciting growing stage.
The Communications Coordinator will be an integral part of the ScholarshipsA-Z team. This role
will be tasked with directly coordinating and overseeing our communications work. This
includes but is not limited to coordinating and creating content for our social media platforms,
website and email listserv. This role will also take on administrative tasks such as supervision of
volunteers, evaluation of growth on our platforms, managing our firstname.lastname@example.org email
and tracking/sharing resources for Undocumented youth in AZ. The Communications
Coordinator will be supervised by the Communications and Development lead, and will work
closely with the Communications team, the Executive Director and the Program Manager.
ScholarshipsA-Z’s social media has gained over 6,500 followers and has about 2500 website
visits each month. The Communications Coordinator will be crucial in creating content to
engage and grow our audiences while also providing crucial information and resources to the
audiences we serve. These include Undocumented youth in AZ and across the country as well
as educators and allies who want to support Undocumented youth.
The Communications Coordinator will work in alignment with the SA-Z Board on our
commitment to realizing our values and mission. The Communications Coordinator will follow
the organizational values, community agreements, and standards of conduct. Any
undocumented person who has a connection or ties to the experience is welcome and
encouraged to apply.
● Will supervise Community Advocates and volunteers supporting communications work,
adhering to ScholarshipsA-Z’s supervisor guidelines
● Will track growth and reach on social media platforms and website
● Will lead the execution and implementation of Communication team goals and vision
● Will schedule and write captions for our weekly social media posts
● Will collaborate with Communications team on graphic design
● Will participate in brainstorming of content for our platforms as well as managing our
● Will maintain and enhance our ScholarshipsA-Z branding
● Will manage the email@example.com email
● Will identify areas of growth and collaboration to enhance our mission.
● Will attend Executive Team meetings and participate in SA-Z Executive Team decision
● Will keep track of resources and routinely share on social media and our website
● Will collaborate with Communications team to identify and create internal systems and
processes to streamline content creation
● Previous mentoring and managing experience with young people and/or programs
serving young people
● Passionate about mentoring and supporting Undocumented youth
● Direct knowledge and personal connection to the Undocumented experience
● Able to work well independently and ask questions when necessary
● Demonstrable commitment to immigrant rights and social justice
● Ability to work well in a team and/or group setting
● Flexible work and/or school schedule
● We ask that all applicants are fully vaccinated
● Experience creating and scheduling social media content
● Experience marketing events or campaigns not limited to social media, email and
● Experience creating agendas and facilitating meetings
● Is familiar and knowledgable on educational policies and political climate impacting
Undocumented youth and families in Arizona
● Has worked or is famliar with community based organization supporting Undocumented
families in Southern Arizona
● Prior experience using online platforms such as google docs, Drive, Signal, Zoom, etc.
● Bilingual in English and Spanish
● Experience updating content on wordpress sites. Wordpress development experience is
● Storytelling and narrative building experience
● Experience working with press
● This is a 1-year position with the possibility of extension based on funding. We expect
candidates to commit to being in the role for at least a year
● The position is a part time role with the expectation of 20 hours per week, including
weekly team meetings and individual check ins with Communications Community
● Preference will be given to applicants based in Tucson though the role can begin
Compensation & Benefits
The Communications Coordinator will benefit in the following ways:
● The Communications Coordinator will receive a $25,000 yearly salary, to be paid as an
○ The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for paying income taxes on
the amount received
● Expand their knowledge and expertise about educational access and topics affecting
● Develop their mentorship skills to support Undocumented students
● Develop their assessment, planning, partnership development, and outreach skills
● Sharpen their communication skills, time-management, and interpersonal skills
● Be part of an engaged, collaborative, and close-knit team
● Contribute to and benefit from the larger ScholarshipsA-Z village
● Grow as a content strategist and experience with maintaining wordpress websites
How to apply
Applications will open on May 1st, 2022 and the priority deadline to apply is June 10th,
2022. The role will begin on June 27th.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (1 must be
youth/young person) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use “Communications Coordinator” as the subject of your email. Only complete
applications will be reviewed.
No Job Description. Find more information in profile details or social accountsView more listings